Monday, November 28, 2016

God's Own Waterboard


My old cyber friend Bill Vallicella has an interesting post on death in which he divides the process into three parts:
There is dying, there is being dead, and there is the momentary transition from the one to the other.
I think of a similar three-stage process:
There is living, there is being dead, and there is the transition from the one to the other.
Bill's threefold division is doubtless superior to mine, but I want to be honest about how I've long thought because I do have a fear of dying, and that fear is a fear that the process from living to being dead might be painful.

Specifically, I worry that I might choke to death from fluid in my lungs.

That might sound like a weird thing to worry about, but there it is, like God's own waterboard, awaiting me at my time of demise . . .

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 10:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to fear death, but now I only the fear of lots of pain during the process.

Cran

 
At 4:20 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Exactly my meaning, Uncle Cran.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 7:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Living... being dead... transition.
I wonder what I'm going through.
Perhaps I should. That might make me less being dead or dying.

An avid but shy reader of your posts

 
At 9:31 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Thanks for being an avid reader - perhaps you'd enjoy my novella? That's best done through living.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home