Thursday, August 04, 2016

Bad Moon Arising?


Here's another recycled poem, this one from about the mid-eighties:
Winter Moon
When the moon rose full from the hills,
It raised trees of the night:
Black trees,
Shadow trees,
Trees of burnt bone.
I thought of holocausts
And hands raised in supplication
Before the altar of an unknown god.
I thought of dead ones risen from the dust,
Multitudes waiting for sinews, and skin.
I saw each hold his lonely place.
I saw it was the world’s untimely end.
What this poem tells us is that the world's end will arrive this winter with the rising of the moon no matter who loses the presidential election.

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 7:49 AM, Blogger TheBigHenry said...

HJH,

TBH (to be honest), I don't see it that way at all. As the discussion on Kevin's blog has it (how did we end up with ... ?), we will all get the leadership we deserve, so long as we are given what the majority of the electoral college decides to give us. Such has always been our destiny as citizens of the United States.

For more than two centuries (to varying degrees) our Constitution has served us well, especially in the most perilous of times -- Civil War, World War Two, and Cold War. And on all previous occasions, our impending demise has been exaggerated. I, for one, can live with that.

Do any of us really have a choice?

 
At 9:38 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Well . . . I was being a bit facetious in applying this old poem to our current situation. Pressed for time, I pressed the poem into service.

But I don't think this election's the end of the world. It's more like what Spock tells Jim:

"It's not the end of the world, Jim, just the end of the world as we know it."

Or something like that . . .

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 11:11 AM, Blogger Kevin Kim said...

I thought I caught an Ezekiel reference.

 
At 11:51 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

If you think so, you did.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 12:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There have been a number of television evangelists who have been speaking of the four blood moons, and almost predicting the Lord's return around October of this year. They say if you will send enough money they will reveal their "secret" knowledge. I haven't sent my money. I'll take my chances. Cran

 
At 4:41 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

I can get you a fifth blood moon at no extra cost! But hurry! There's little time left for this amazing offer!

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home