Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Message in a Bottle

Nice Email
A Lifesaver

I was worried about my EWIS course after a few students dropped, but this e-note is encouraging:
I am so glad that I . . . [am taking Professor Hodges'] class. When I talk to him, I get to know what I want to write about. He has insights that take me beyond what I previously had in mind. I have always struggled with coming up with thesis statement because I thought I have to read all related articles before knowing what I want to write about. But in fact, I figured out today that I already know what I was interested in. Also, comments he makes in class are changing my perception that writing is difficult. Simple sayings - like, "There is always something to write about" [or] "Don't despair if you find an article dealing with issues you wanted to discuss" - give me confidence that I can do this! . . . I am glad that I took EWIS and look forward to end product of this course!
I now just have to reach some other students . . .

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 9:39 PM, Blogger Kevin Kim said...

Well... you've reached at least one student. Some teachers claim that that's enough. (Not me. I'm greedy and want to reach them all.)

 
At 4:18 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

From discussing this issue with my wife, I've concluded that most Korean students prefer the 'brute force' approach - pile on the exercises from the beginning and keep them busy the whole time.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 12:42 PM, Blogger Carter Kaplan said...

Keeping busy is not the gateway to English composition. No more than Toledo is the gateway to Omaha, though it's been called worse.

 
At 12:42 PM, Blogger Carter Kaplan said...

Er, what exactly is this "end product" the student is talking about?

 
At 2:21 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

A research paper.

Jeffery Hodges

@ @ @

 

Post a Comment

<< Home