Thursday, May 21, 2015

Don't try this if you're not a bird . . .

Dean Potter
Jim Hurst for The New York Times

. . . unless you're batsh*t crazy! Writing for the NYT, John Branch reports that "Dean Potter, Extreme Climber, Dies in BASE-Jumping Accident at Yosemite" (May 17, 2015), along with a friend of Potter:
Potter, 43, and the other man, Graham Hunt, 29, leapt near dusk off Taft Point, a promontory about 3,000 feet above the floor of Yosemite Valley, not far from the iconic granite masses of El Capitan and Half Dome. Flying in wingsuits, they tried to clear a notch in the granite cliffs but instead smashed into the rocks in quick succession.
Even if you are batsh*t crazy, don't try it. You don't have wings. Unlike a real bat  . . .

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 6:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jeff--CPH here. Colorado Front Range is rather in mourning over this, I'm seeing. I'd really not followed him myself, though I had seen some of his flying suit footage, which is pretty astounding (made me immediately google around on whether anyone's been able to simply LAND after a trip like that; not really, from what I could tell--though one guy has 'landed' in a huge pile of cardboard boxes arrayed for that purpose, I believe--a little cumbersome).

 
At 6:46 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Thanks, Pete. I've been aware of these 'flyers' for a few years. I even watched several videos when I first discovered these men who would be birds - or 'flying' squirrels - and I told myself, "If they keep on at this, they will all, one by one, eventually perish."

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home