Friday, March 27, 2015

Hodes . . . Hodegs . . . Hodges!

A Story Takes Flight
RedCap

I recently received the published version of my paper "The Mis-Education of Horace Hodges," which I presented at Chung-Ang University's Storytelling Conference last December, and I've pasted the abstract below:
Horace Jeffery Hodes, (2015). The Mis-Education of Horace Hodegs. Storytelling, 1(2), 52-69. This paper attempts to give listeners the experience of storytelling, from the perspective of both a storyteller and a listener, by alternating between relating stories and analyzing them, and so beginning with allusions to Cervantes, Shakespeare, Henry Adams, and Charles Darwin, the paper traverses hillbilly concern with storytelling as lying, through a 'just-so' children's story by the author of this paper, through a tall tale by Bob Dylan from his Chronicles, through another tale by Dylan, but in song, then on to remarks on truth and the believability of stories in the thought of Plato, Boccaccio, Sir Philip Sydney, Shakespeare, and Coleridge, then again a story through showing Milton recounting one in Paradise Lost, wherein he also claims to receive divine inspiration, then on through Hans Blumenberg's thoughts on myth, to another story, a Faustian one by the author himself, drawn partly from Bulgakov's own Faustian tale in his novel The Master and Margarita, and finally concluding with Nietzsche on poets as liars and the author's admission that the whole paper has been a lie.
Attentive readers will have already noted that my surname is misspelled twice in bold font! I swear I wasn't the heterographic malefactor, though who will believe me since I have owned up - in the above abstract - to being a liar.

Speaking frankly, however, I'm surprised to see my middle name, "Jeffery," spelled correctly, but my surname misspelled! The opposite is usually the case.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 11:38 AM, Blogger Kevin Kim said...

How on earth did they mess that up? Surely they could have just copied and pasted the information, yes? I mean, word-processing software has been around for decades! Just how does one screw the pooch this royally?

Then again, expecting Koreans to spell foreign names correctly is as hopeless as expecting Americans to pronounce Korean names correctly.

 
At 12:00 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Yeah, somebody dropped the ball, i.e., fumbled badly.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home