Tuesday, June 24, 2014

EWIS = Ewha Writing-Intensive School - Begins Wednesday, June 25

EWIS Work During a Previous EWIS Course
EPO

Now that the excitement of the workshop at the Seoul International Book Fair is over, I'm back to the daily grind, but I enjoy teaching EWIS to graduate students, for they really appreciate advice on writing. Here's what I'm doing starting Wednesday:
Syllabus

Ewha Writing Intensive School
Horace Jeffery Hodges

We will meet four days (M-Th) per week from 9 to 12 each day for four weeks (June 25 - July 22), with two short breaks every day dividing each class time into three sessions, 1) Discussion, 2) Lesson on Writing Skills, and 3) In-Class Writing Practice, as shown below:

Time: 3 hours and an optional office hour. (4 days a week: 4 weeks)

Daily Schedule

1st hour

Discussion
Analysis of Writing Samples:
Magazines, Journals, Books, etc.

2nd hour

Lecture on Writing Skills
Lessons on the Mechanics of Writing:
Grammar/Syntax/Structure/
Organization/Style/Coherency/
Analysis of Student Writings.

3rd hour

In-Class Writing Practice
Application of Lessons:
Outline and Draft Creation/Peer
editing/Instructor feedback/
Review of Student Writings.

Office Hour (optional)

One on One feedback
This is an optional session. Students can visit the instructor for a brief individual session.

(Note short breaks between class sessions)
We will not rigidly adhere to this schedule, but remain flexible enough to meet students’ needs.

Week 1: Sentences and Paragraphs

Wordiness
The Argumentative Edge
The Thesis Machine
Introductory Paragraph
Middle Paragraph
Concluding Paragraph

Reading for Discussion: To Be Announced Later

Week 2: Entire Essay

Complete Essay
The Need for Novelty

Reading for Discussion: "Korean Identity" - Hodges (10 pages)

Week 3: Entire Essay with Citations and Bibliography

Reading for Discussion: "Points Toward a Culture of Discussion" - Hodges (16 pages)

Week 4: Entire Essay with Citations and Bibliography

Reading for Discussion: "Points Toward a Culture of Discussion" - Hodges (16 pages)

The aim of the course will be to work on a research paper with either MLA style or APA style (though science students can use the ASA style). Googling "OWL Purdue" will introduce you to these styles.

Materials for Course:

There will be no textbook, but handouts will be provided. You will need to bring a laptop computer to class each day (keep the batteries charged) since we will work every day on writing. From each student, I will need an email address.

My Qualifications:

If I'm allowed to exaggerate, I've been teaching writing for nearly 40 years! At seventeen, I was once asked by my high school English teacher to grade and correct the essays for his tenth grade class. My career perhaps started then, but I didn't work as grader and corrector of essays again until my senior year at Baylor University, when I was twenty-one and worked for two semesters doing that. I left Baylor with a BA in English literature, but studied history at UC Berkeley for my MA and PhD. As a graduate student, I taught undergraduates from the time I was 23 until I finished my doctorate, and I've been teaching writing courses regularly ever since.

I've tried to find time to write a bit myself, and I've published over thirty articles in the humanities (using MLA, APA, and CMS styles), around twenty-five poems, about five short stories, and one novella. In my pursuit of graduate and postdoctoral studies on various scholarships, e.g., Fulbright, Friedrich Naumann, and Golda Meir fellowships, I have also done a lot of writing, primarily academic pieces. I have worked editing my wife's translations of Korean literature on grants offered by the Korea Literature Translation Institute, along with other editing work for various scholarly journals, all of which entails a lot of rewriting other people's work. Finally, I have worked for the Daesan Foundation as a judge of Korean literature in English translation, which requires me to offer some editorial remarks about translations that need some touching up.

Those are my qualifications, I reckon . . .
And I have to prepare myself for Wednesday, which explains why I'm posting on this today . . .

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home