Wednesday, March 05, 2014

Uncle Cran Reports!


A big winter storm seems to have hit the Midwest and parts of the South a couple of days ago, so let's go to Uncle Cran's Ozark Farm Report for a full and accurate briefing:
Yesterday about 9:30 AM it started sleeting/freezing rain that continued until we went to bed at 10:00 PM. There was 2 inches of sleet mixed with ice at that time. This morning at 5:00 AM there was another 4 inches of snow on top of the sleet and ice. While I was shoveling snow at the barn, Gay called me. She had slipped on the ice and I had to help her get up. Thankfully she wasn't hurt.

I started at 8:00 this morning feeding cows, chopping ice, shoveling snow and using the tractor to clear snow from the front of the hay barn. I was able to get two round bales out into the field. Then I drove the tractor up and down the driveway.
Eh? Why "up and down the driveway"? Just for the hell of it? Or the challenge, to see if you could?
It took four tries before I got all the way to the road.
That can happen when you drive "up and down the driveway" a few times.
We can get the truck out if needed, but we don't plan to go anywhere before Wednesday as the road is ice covered. It sounded like every school in north Arkansas and southern Missouri is dismissed, and who knows how many others in the two states. Schools in our area have already missed 23 or more days because of snow.

But it does have some benefits.
Always look on the bright side of life!
We weren't able to burn our trash for almost three weeks, as there was a burn ban most of this time. The sleet and snow will bring needed moisture as well as adding nitrogen to the fields. This will stimulate the grass in the fields when the weather warms. So Gay and I will take things easy the next few days.
There appears to be an unfinished thought in that passage. Anyway, Uncle Cran hadn't originally included any pictures, so I asked:
Any photos? Is this like the ice storm of a few years back?
Uncle Cran replied:
The snow was so beautiful when I went outside this morning. Now that I've shoveled, waded through, driven the tractor through, and the dogs have made tracks everywhere, it isn't so pretty. The wood pile I took a picture of back in February is down to just a few sticks. But you can see by the fence another two ricks I cut recently that hopefully will last until sometime in April.
From ricks to sticks! But he did send two photos, the one above . . . and this one:


Hmmm . . .

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 10:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I did send "another" photo to Jeffery showing me holding up a chunk of ice that showed that the ice under the 4 inches of snow was slightly more than 2 inches thick.
It either arrived too late to get into Jeffery's blog, or for some reason did not get to him.
Or, as some editors have done in newspapers where I sent in news items, did not consider it "worthy of publication" on his blot.
Hence, he published the same photo at the beginning and end of his blogspot.
Hmm! I wonder why?

 
At 11:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Galatians 1:6-9 speaks of "...another {of a different kind}...gospel" which is not "..another (of the same kind}...gospel.

I did send another of a different kind that didn't get into the blog.

Also, there is a typo in the previous comment that reads "...
on his blot." instead of "...on his blog."

That wasn't deliberate on my part.
Or was it?

Hmmm

Cran

 
At 4:33 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

I got the different photo later and have posted it, too, as you have likely seen.

Um-hmm.

But you did send two copies of the photo I posted on this blog entry. I considered whether you had attempted some sort of stereoscopic effect, but the angles were the same.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home