Wednesday, December 18, 2013

World Literature Today Recognizes The Soil


My wife and I received the good news yesterday that one of our translations has been recognized as numbering among the "WLT's 75 Notable Translations 2013," as the WLT noted that "working with the Literature Translation Institute of Korea, Dalkey Archive launched its Library of Korean Literature, bringing out several titles," including Yi Kwang-su's novel The Soil:
Yi Kwang-su, The Soil, Hwang Sun-Ae and Horace Jeffery Hodges, tr.
I was in seventh heaven, so to bring me back down to earth, my wife observed that our translation was undoubtedly selected more for Yi Kwang-su's stature than our work's quality. That's likely the case. (Dammit!) But we can pretend!

One thing is certain: Yi Kwang-su never imagined that an Arkansas boy from the Ozarks who can't even speak Korean would play a contributing role in rendering The Soil into English.

I can hardly believe it either -- though I quickly remind myself that without wonderful Sun-Ae, this wouldn't have been possible . . .

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

At 5:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Regardless of the reason for inclusion, CONGRATULATIONS to both of you!

Jay

 
At 5:24 AM, Blogger Carter Kaplan said...

Congratulations!

 
At 11:47 AM, Blogger TheBigHenry said...

Congrats, Jeffery.

BTW, I do not mean to be impertinent, but what became of the apostrophe in "Womans"?

 
At 1:32 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

I've heard various dubious explanations, but I assume that somebody erred and that the error became the 'right' spelling because traditional.

Jeffery Hodges

@ @ @

 
At 12:38 AM, Blogger Terrance Lindall said...

Fabulous!!

 
At 5:44 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Thanks, Terrance, also TBH, Carter, and Jay!

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 8:17 AM, Anonymous Bienvenido Bones Banez said...

Blessing and Kudos!

*Bones*

 
At 8:26 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Thanks, Bien!

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home