Sunday, March 10, 2013

Follow-Up to Uncle Cran's Basement Dungeon Cell . . .

After Uncle Cran's Handiwork . . . or Before?

I missed a final photo and comment from Uncle Cran on his basement dungeon cell 'man cave,' so here they are, the photograph above and the commentary below:
I forgot to mention in the photos of Linda Gay, but she is kind of anxious to get me out of her space, so that she is actually supervising the job, cleaning up after me, putting sealer on the grout, etc. I know this is a hard, dirty, thankless job, but someone has to do it.
The job need not be thankless, Uncle Cran. Just say "Thank you" to Aunt Gay. But let's see what the fellow does have to say. Why, there appears to be a poem:
I finally got the tile on the wall. One fellow told me that his old daddy said to him,

Son, once the work is well done,
never leave it 'til it's done.
Though the task be great or small,
do it well, or not at all.

It still doesn't have the grout in the joints, but you can see the progess.
That poem certainly does look to still have a few 'ungrouted' cracks. I see a great gaping gap between the first and second lines -- in terms of what one might expect and what one actually reads. The two lines seem to be advising me that when I'm finished and have done a good job, I'd better stay at the work till it's finished. Eh? Really? Really and truly? Hmmm . . . I don't believe I know this poem, but I suggest it might better read as follows:
Once the work is well begun,
never leave it 'til it's done.
Though the task be great or small,
do it well, or not at all.
That sounds better and makes more sense . . . but why not write "'til" as "till"? Speaking of writing, Uncle Cran promises not to write at all for a while:
I won't sent any more updates until the room is completed. For which everyone can be thankful.
We earnestly await further poems of wordy wit, wisdom, and wonder from Uncle Cran, but if an individual intends to live well by aphorisms, the words had better be well remembered!

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 10:33 PM, Blogger Charles Montgomery said...

"the"...

otherwise it's not talking about a specific job..

 
At 10:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are right once again, Jeffery.
That was the proper term, and a misprint on my part.
My apologies.
Cran

 
At 6:23 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Thanks, Charles, and belated congrats on being recognized by the city of Seoul.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 6:24 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Thanks for bringing the poem to my attention. I like little bits of advice worded that way.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home