Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Williamsburg Circle Meeting - April 14th, 2012

Readers will perhaps recall that I was recently invited by the artist Terrance Lindall to join -- as one of the founding members -- the Williamsburg Circle of International Arts and Letters, which can be read about at this link. I'm probably the member farthest from New York -- being that I'm halfway around the world -- so I simply cannot attend the first meeting of the Circle, to be held this coming Saturday, but I'll gaze at the logo below during the meeting and thereby attend in spirit:


The building in which this meeting will take place is the Williamsburg Art and Historical Center, which you can glimpse below and to the right, though a clearer photo is available here. The building was originally the Kings County Savings Bank, a New York landmark built between 1860 and 1867!


Here below are scenes I'll be missing out on by being unable to attend the meeting, such as the Williamsburg Circle Club Room, with its Old Masters paintings . . .


. . . as well as its antiques, visible in part above but more fully below:


There are also images of what Terrance has honored with the name The Peter William Dizozza Reading Room (after one of the Williamsburg Circle members), the first image from this angle, showing some of Terrance's own art:


The second image is of a bookcase or two, for this is a reading room:


The third image, from another angle entirely, reveals a comfortable spot for relaxing over a book:


The Williamsburg Art and Historical Center truly is a lovely place. I regret that I can't make it this Saturday . . . and who knows if I even ever shall?

But I'll raise a pint of Shoggoth's Old Peculiar this weekend in honor of my colleagues present there . . .

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

At 2:29 PM, Blogger ilTassista Marino said...

Shoggoth's Old Peculiar

In fact - as I wrote to Terrance - the place would have been loved by Lovecraft, a fan of Old New England.

Btw, here's the second non-attending founder *sigh* because "c'è di mezzo il mare" (there's a sea in between)

 
At 3:12 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Would a land bridge help?

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 4:50 PM, Blogger ilTassista Marino said...

why not, it helped at the time of dinosaurs :-)

 
At 6:10 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Already, you're a dinosaur!

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 6:20 PM, Blogger ilTassista Marino said...

... but cannot play bridge

 
At 7:15 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

I guess it just wasn't in the cards . . .

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 9:11 AM, Blogger Carter Kaplan said...

"c'è di mezzo il mare"

I want this on a t-shirt.

 
At 9:12 AM, Blogger Carter Kaplan said...

My ornithopter is already packed, and I promise lots of pictures, colleagues.

 
At 1:23 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Ornithopter? Is that a bird-like helicopter?

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 2:56 PM, Blogger ilTassista Marino said...

"c'è di mezzo il mare"
I want this on a t-shirt.


It is a very common italian saying, "Tra il dire e il fare c'è di mezzo il mare" (from saying to doing, there's a sea in bewteen)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home