Friday, December 16, 2011

Korean Unification Gang . . .

My scholarly friend Kim Myongsob, currently director of the Yonsei Institute for Korean Unification Studies (연세대학교 부설 통일연구원), which is housed in the same building as the Kim Dae Jung Presidential Library and Museum, asked me to meet with some of his masters students and offer advice on research writing, so I met with them and provided some guidance:


That's me in the cap, second from the left. First from the left is Choi Jaehoon, who works with the Korean police force and is studying terrorism with the intention of finding a job at Interpol, which doubtless keeps a sharp eye on North Korea's activities. Third from the left is Lim Honey, who is hiding from Big Brother and working on the puzzle of North Korea's continuing, mystifying existence! Fourth from the left is Chou Yuh Bin, of Taiwan, who wants to explain why so many non-Koreans think that Samsung is a Japanese firm (!) -- clearly essential for understanding North Korea (since the two Koreas get conflated, too). Fifth from the left is Jun Dae-jin, who studies international law and wants to apply the Right to Protect to North Korea, specifically, the Right to Rebuild if the North becomes a failed state. (If?) Sixth from the left is Jo Sung Gwun, a doctor of medicine who is interested in North Korea's health care system but is currently working on understanding diabetes (maybe Kim Jong-il can use some treatment). Seventh from the left is Yoon Kyeongwon, who is studying linguistics with the aim of teaching Korean better to English speakers, which has something to do with North Korea, I suppose, but you don't see him since he's so far right that he has disappeared out the door . . .

I was also soon caught on the way out, as you see from my 'deer-in-the-headlights' look as I adjust my bag:


The whole gang and I had such a nice time that we plan to meet again next week . . . at Craftworks Taphouse!

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At 5:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sir,
As I read the photo and the discription about me, I felt the necessity to leave a comment!
Also for me, the class we did together was really impressive and helpful. I wil always hope to take your class again.
See you soon!!

Jaehoon Choi

 
At 9:25 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Thanks, Mr. Choi. I suppose we'll soon have new photos to post.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 11:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I am here! lol I can still recall the happy class and it remains a good memory. Thank yo so much, sir!

from. Yoon, Kyeongwon :)

 
At 11:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I am here! lol I can still recall the happy class and it remains a good memory. Thank yo so much, sir!

from. Yoon, Kyeongwon :)

 
At 11:50 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Thanks for the memory!

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home