Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Pinokio: More Art from En-Uk

Pinokio

My artistically inclined son has recently posted an intriguing image and 'explanation' on his art blog. The image is the one above, titled "Pinokio" and thereby distinguished, sort of, from the literary figure Pinocchio, yet sharing with the latter some generic characteristics, as we see from En-Uk's description:
This drawing is called "Pinokio." I made this drawing because I read Pinokio a lot when I was young, and because it is kind of funny that if you lie then the nose gets bigger. The pinokio that I drew is blind. If you look at the eyes, then you can see that his eyes are closed. I think this pinokio is ugly. This pinokio is from En-Ukistan, and there are a lot of pinokios there. Ugly pinokios, and handsome pinokios . . . I think En-Ukistan is the best place to live. I wish some people would come to En-Ukistan. This pinokio is a boy, but pinokios are really hard to distinguish as man or woman. It's a hard life for pinokios. If a pinokio wants to become a person, it has to eat grass for 2000 years, but they usually die before the 2000th year. Well, I don't have anything to say anymore, so I guess bye!
Apparently, En-Uk read about Pinokio a lot when he was younger, but he must have been reading stories in Korean because I didn't know anything about this, which would also explain En-Uk's transliteration of the name, rather than the correct spelling "Pinocchio." Interestingly, En-Uk has worked in some Korean mythology, an allusion to the foundational myth of the Korean people, according to which, a bear and a tiger asked the god of the heavens for permission to become human, but only the bear succeeded in the assigned task of eating solely garlic and mugwort for 100 days and becoming a woman, who then married a son of the heavenly god and gave birth to Dangun, the first Korean.

This art post received a couple of amusing comments, the first by our artistically gifted friend Dario Rivarossa:
Very nice story, and . . .
I read Pinokio a lot when I was young

. . . hope you will still be reading it now that you are an old man. It is a book full of wisdom.

My wife and I were also both amused that twelve-year-old En-Uk would wax nostalgic about his youth. As for the second comment, it comes from the warped mind of another artistically gifted friend, Kevin Kim:
I can imagine two Pinocchios telling lies for hours and hours, growing their noses longer and longer, and eventually engaging in amazing nose/sword fights.
Depend on Kevin for some image inventive and bizarre! For readers wishing to try their hidden hand at equally amusing remarks, click over to En-Uk's Art Blog and type away!

Labels: , , , ,

6 Comments:

At 5:52 AM, Blogger Kevin Kim said...

Belated thanks. I hadn't realized that I had my own label. I'm a category! And so is Dario! It's like being part of a pantheon or something.

 
At 5:58 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Or a pandaemon . . .

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 7:19 AM, Blogger ilTassista Marino said...

yep, and... my twelve-year-old nephew too happens to say, "When I was young..."

 
At 7:27 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

"Ah, but I was so much older then
I'm younger than that now . . ."




Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 2:01 AM, Blogger Carter Kaplan said...

What form of government do they enjoy in En-Ukistan?

 
At 3:55 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

They apparently 'enjoy' a monarchy, for En-Uk is king, or so he claims, but he might be a pretender to an imagined throne of a fairytale land . . .

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home