Thursday, October 21, 2010

Rand Paul: NoZe Brother?

The NoZe Brotherhood
Ho, Ho, Ho!
(Image from NoZe Homepage)

Mr. Rand Paul, NoZe Brother? Hey, I didn't vote to let him into the Noble NoZe! But the evidence seems to point to him as a bonafide Brother, for the Democratic State Attorney General of Kentucky, Mr. Jack Conway, has used Mr. Paul's putative membership to attack him in their Senate race:
Why was Rand Paul a member of a secret society that called the Holy Bible a "hoax," that was banned for mocking Christianity and Christ? Why did Rand Paul once tie a woman up, tell her to bow down before a false idol and say his god was "Aqua Buddha."
Well, Keko Muckety Muck, why indeed? The answer, my friend, is blowing in the wind. Nah, just kidding. The answer is more likely found in an observation posted by "Swamp" on October 18, 2010 in the "Comments" section to a Christianity Today article by Sarah Pulliam Bailey, "Rand Paul Blasts Opponent's Ad Referencing Baylor" (October 18, 2010). Here's Swamp's comment:
As a graduate of Baylor University and part of a long line of family members with Baylor ties, I have to laugh (rather than cry) at the depths that some fools will descend to win an election. Jack Conway obviously does not know a thing about the culture of Baylor or anything about the NoZe Brotherhood. I could go on ad nauseum as to how idiotic this charge is, but it really makes me wonder what Conway was doing at age 20.
Hey, I'm mildly curious about that myself, but I'm willing to wager that Mr. Conway wasn't attending either a Pink Tea or a Millard Fillmore, both hosted by that satirical organization sporting Groucho Marx noses, The Noble Noze Brotherhood, a secret fraternity about which Mr. Conway undoubtedly prefers to know less so as to use his ignorance all the more effectively.

Good thing that I'm not running for political office, else my proboscisial name "Brother AgNoZetic" would be held against me, as would particular photographs from a certain parody of Leonardo Da Vinci's Last Supper, in which I played the host. Long sharp bread knives were out for me that day -- and would be again if I were a politician running against Mr. Conway.

Look, everybody was young once. Some of us were even members of clubs engaged in all sorts of juvenile behavior. Most of us eventually grow up.

It's long past time that 41-year-old Jack Conway also grew up.

UPDATE: Given all the interest in this topic, I figured that I ought to provide the actual reason that the NoZe Brotherhood got banned from Baylor, which had nothing to do with Rand Paul or his antics.

FURTHER UPDATE: See my blog entry of October 25, 2010 for more on "Rand Paul, the NoZe Brotherhood, and the TRUTH!"

Labels: , ,

12 Comments:

At 5:42 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Great entry, thanks, Jeff! To my mind for what it’s worth, if the NB helped materially to hamper Master Paul’s ascension into national political heaven (by the way, found silly/sad photo I noted previously, RandInShorts --enjoy), I think it would surely be one of THE greatest entries into the annals of that august organization, and that’s clearly saying something…In other related developments, I recognized an error in my earlier transmission about the “National Lampoon” article with an extraordinarily impressive (I mean, Jesus!) article about the NB; it was in fact in “Esquire”, October 1980: Esquire10_80 ! Sadly I could not locate an e-version of the actual article within, but my efforts did at least yield another entertaining coincidence: if one navigates to the Wikipedia entry for “satirical magazines of the US” ( wiki_article ), under their alphabetical accounting for “N”, there are but two entries: “National Lampoon”, and “The NoZe Brotherhood”!! But, but, I don’t BELIEVE in coincidences…! So with that anyhow, I believe I’ve yanked my own brain’s chain enough this afternoon, and need to get back to work. I mean, it’s not like I’m some BLOGGER or something! :0 --Your Humble Servant, CharleyP

 
At 5:59 AM, Anonymous dhr said...

It's long past time that 41-year-old (...) also grew up

er ...................

 
At 6:03 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Thanks, Pete. This resurrects old, dead memories. Hard to believe that Rand Paul and I have something in common.

He was after my time at Baylor in the Brotherhood, and the reason the NoZe was banned had nothing to do with Mr. Paul and very much to do with our "Homecoming Cancelled" edition of the Rope, the NoZe satirical rag, which we worked up to mimic the Baylor Lariat for that issue and which included an article on Bertrand Russell joining First Baptist Church of Dallas as the 144,000th member, a satire on Dallas Cowboys placekicker Rafael Septien joining that same church as the 20,000th member.

As I said, old, dead memories.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 6:04 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Okay, Dario, long past time that we also grew up.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 8:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Speaking as an unabashed liberal Southern Democrat- which means I am morally opposed to governmental intrusion into those areas better left to personal choice (and which can't be controlled by the state without loss of liberties)- I can say that the good people of Kentucky clearly have a Hobson's choice on their hands. If only 'None of the above' were on the ballot. Speaking in the familial sense, maybe having a NoZe brother running things wouldn't be all bad. At any rate asmy younger brother said, "... most of us grow up".

Pat

 
At 8:10 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

I agree, Pat, if people want to be tied up and forced to bow down to Aqua Buddha instead of Aquaman, then they should have that right regardless what some candidates think!

Anyone who disagrees can just move 40 miles north of Seoul and live under the newly ascendant 4-star General and 26-year-old 'Brilliant' Leader Kim Young'un.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 2:50 PM, Anonymous dhr said...

his god was "Aqua Buddha"

Mine is.

I'm Popeye the Ancient Mariner.

TOOT!

 
At 3:10 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

I don't recall that episode.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 3:36 PM, Anonymous dhr said...

He exists.

 
At 5:36 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

In that case, people had better stop carping about Mr. Paul's religious beliefs.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 5:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jeffery:

I noticed that both you & elder brothr Pat stated that "most of us grow up." Hopefully both of you are in the majority group.

I personally never grew up.
I just got older.


Cran

 
At 6:05 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

I probably overstated my case. I am trying to grow up, I should have said.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home