Tuesday, June 16, 2009

David Lynn Jones: June 13th Performance in West Plains

David Lynn Jones
and
Illa Jones
Not from the concert.

You see above one of the most recent photographs of David Lynn Jones, which I've borrowed from the website of a certain "Jamie," a lady who lives in Spring Lake, Arkansas . . . which I assume is not far from Cave City, Arkansas, where David Lynn currently lives. I hope that she doesn't mind my borrowing this photo, for it's 'stolen' in a good cause. Kind of like Robin Hood . . .

I suppose that the image itself ain't 'zackly politically correct, what with David Lynn smoking a cancer stick, but it's real, and the man is back. Yes, back . . . or at least on his long-delayed comeback. Here's what was posted about one month ago by a different "Jamie," a fellow in West Plains, Missouri by the name of "Jamie Denton" (cf. My Space link with loud country music):
Hi, my name's Jamie and I'm putting on a benefit concert for the late Mark Sallings, who was a member of David Lynn's band, and David Lynn Jones is scheduled to appear on June 13th (a Saturday night) at the avenue theatre in West Plains MO. Tickets go on sale June the 1st at 10 a.m. at West Plains Music Store, and range from 10.00 to 25.00. We would love to have all of Lynn's fans out to see him.

The concert for Mark Sallings mentioned in the above comment will be June 13th 2009, at the Avenue Theatre in West Plains, MO. I just wanted to confirm this is a 2009 date!
I checked this out with Jerry Bone (link with softer, blues-style music), who knew of the event but couldn't with certainty confirm it, so I asked around but couldn't get any firm information. Nevertheless, the concert did take place, as I have just yesterday learned, and David Lynn Jones did in fact appear, as Jamie Denton has now confirmed:
Hi, this is Jamie Denton once again, and I wanted everyone to know that David Lynn Jones did perform in West Plains on the 13th, and his set was awsome. He did 3 songs -- 2 new ones, and "Living in the Promiseland" -- I hope some of your readers made it to the show. It was a real treat to hear Jones singing again!
I imagine that it was a treat. I don't know that any of my regular readers made the concert, but I am happy to receive any and all reports on the performance. I'm gratified to hear that David Lynn not only sang his number 1 song from the late 80s but also performed two new ones!

I hope that a tape has been made and will be cleared to listen to on You Tube or on David Lynn's My Space site. Meanwhile, here are some links to remind us of why we love David Lynn's voice and songs:
High Ridin' Heros

When Times Were Good and You Were Mine

Bonnie Jean (Little Sister)

Here in My Heart
That last link, David Lynn's My Space site, includes a message from Craig, a fellow musician who seems to have been at the West Plains concert, for he says, in a message dated June 15th, 2009 (3:14 a.m.), "Great set last night. Enjoyed visiting with you." I infer that Craig was referring to the June 13th concert in mentioning "last night" even though he happened to be posting at a point when June 14th had stretched into June 15th. At any rate, that bit by Craig about David Lynn's "Great set" sounds good -- and probably refers to "Living in the Promiseland" along with the two new songs that Jamie mentioned. I expect that we'll soon be hearing more from David Lynn.

In the meantime, here are a couple more reports about the West Plains concert that have posted while I was writing this blog entry. Jamie Denton writes again to tell us:
I'm sure there will be a follow up with some of the local newspapers! And Dennis Crider, former West Plains Quill photographer took pics of all the artists, so I'll keep you informed, when these come available. As for a recording, we weren't able to get that all set up, but who knows -- someone may have snuck in a recorder. They always do! So I'd keep my eyes open for that too just in case!
And an anonymous comment comes from one who attended the concert and seems to know David Lynn quite well:
I attended the concert in West Plains, Mo. Saturday evening and agree with Jamie that David Lynn had a tremendous performance. I told him that it may have been the best that I had heard him sing. He was extremely gratified with the great reception and response he received. The quality of the sound with his acoustic style revealed the vintage David Lynn. I updated him on the great following and support he has received on Gypsy Scholar. You can expect to hear more from David Lynn in the future as he makes a few changes.
More people seem to be reading this blog than I had realized. I'm glad that it has provided a forum for various people who appreciate the music of David Lynn Jones. From my site meter, I've not only seen folks from Canada and Australia logging on to one or another of my blog entries on Jones, I've even seen someone from Russia searching for a Jones CD and ending up here . . . though not leaving a message.

I'd therefore suggest that David Lynn Jones still has a sizeable fan base waiting for him to return.

Labels: , ,

16 Comments:

At 11:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jeff,

I was unable to go & to hear Lynn, but I was told by his daughter and son-in-law that he sounded better than ever. They also said the new songs were exceptional. Hope things continue to improve for him.

John

 
At 11:42 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

John, thanks for the note. I was thinking of emailing you to inquire.

By the way, my wife and kids are looking forward to their upcoming Ozark trip. I hope that you and Sandy are as well . . .

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 12:03 PM, Blogger Guff said...

I enjoyed this post very much. I am so glad he is turning around! I hope all is well and cannot wait to see the kids really soon! Give my love to everyone!

Crystal

 
At 1:47 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Crystal, I didn't know that you were still reading my blog. I'm sure that my kids are looking forward to seeing you and everybody, too. I wish that I could be there.

And I agree -- it is great that David Lynn is back on the music track. I hope that we'll be hearing more from him soon.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 2:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So someone from Russia was looking for a David Lynn Jones CD.
And all this time I thought that JK was from somewhere in north Arkansas.

And is this the Crystal who jammed with me on the drums and guitar at Jeffery's Arkansas visit last year?

Cran

 
At 5:29 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Uncle Cran, I always suspected JK of being a sock puppet for Franz Kafka . . . but I suppose that since Prague was once part of the Soviet Empire . . .

As for Crystal on drums? I dunno. She'll have to answer that one, but if you were jamming with John's daughter, then that would be the same Crystal.

(Parenthetically, go to the Guff link and watch the baby's new steps.)

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 3:04 PM, Anonymous Scott Shipley said...

Howdy, my name's Scott Shipley, Jamie Denton and I worked together on the Ozarks Homecoming concert.
David Lynn came, sang, and conquered! He was amazing. Y'all missed it!


Scott Shipley
www.myspace.com/scottshipleymusic

 
At 5:48 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Mr. Scott Shipley, thanks for your report. It sounds as if most of us did indeed miss a great performance.

My excuse is that I couldn't get a leave of absence from teaching in Seoul, South Korea.

The others -- slackards one and all -- are, as St. Paul might say, "without excuse."

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 5:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! DLJ fan checking in from Gainesville, Florida. I've got all of his CDs. But his first CD, with Mick Ronson of the David Bowie and Ian Hunter bands playing guitar, continues to intrigue me even more than 20 years after the fact. How those two hooked up musically is something I've always wondered about. Anybody have any ideas how that came to pass?

 
At 5:57 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Fan from Gainesville, good question. I don't know the answer, but David Lynn must have had some connections in the music industry from his days working with Willie Nelson. Note that David Lynn's single "High Riding Heros" was performed with Waylon Jennings.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 12:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi. I'm Tom from Gainesville checking in again. I just love DLJ's "Hard Times on Easy Street" CD. I STILL play it regularly, and consider it a classic. Waylon did sing (un-credited) on David's "High Riding Heroes" cut on the CD; his voice is easy to pick up and recognize. I even had the chance to ask Ian Hunter one time how Mick Ronson ended up on that CD, and he said he'd forgotten the chain of events that led up to it. (Thanks a heap, Ian...)I guess I'll have to create a MySpace page, be-friend David, and ask him myself. Thanks in the meantime for helping keep DLJ's muse alive.

 
At 4:51 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Tom from Gainesville, thanks again for visiting. I'd never even known of Mick Ronson being on that CD, but you've now got me wondering!

As for keeping David Lynn's music (let alone his muse) alive, I think that it needs no help from me. I have been gratified, however, by the response to my blog entries on David Lynn, for I've discovered that a lot of fans are still out there waiting for more music from the man.

Apparently, we will be hearing more music from him in the not too distant future -- as has been made clear through some comments on several of my blog entries concerning David Lynn Jones.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 3:35 PM, Anonymous Chelsea Savage said...

I just wanted to see what all you David Lynn Fans thought of my "Even One" cover! This is such an amazing song..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEY4q0rOK6c
Got to see David Lynn a few months back and he is doing great and making great music as always.

~Chelsea

 
At 5:12 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Chelsea, thanks for the link, which looks correct but leads to "mywebsite.com" because you pasted the link address into the "My Title" space.

I can make the link work.

I've watched this same video of you before, and I liked it then just as I do now.

I'd like to see the lyrics if you
could post them.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 4:36 PM, Anonymous Larry Saidman said...

I just listened to Chelsea Savage's version of DLJ's "Even One". Great! Captures the spirit beautifully.

 
At 4:49 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Yeah, she's good.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home