Thursday, January 29, 2009

Nominee for "Best Blog about Korean Culture in General, 2008"

Surprise Nominee

I have received an unexpected note in yesterday's blog-entry comments from fellow blogger Roboseyo alerting me to a potential danger:
Hi there. Your blog was nominated for an award for the best Korea blogs of 2008, at The Hub Of Sparkle. Go check it out if you like.
Naturally, I thanked him for the warning:
Thanks, Roboseyo, for the alert. It certainly is alarming to hear that my blog has been nominated for "Best Blog about Korean Culture in General, 2008" . . . along with seven others. Fortunately, the other seven are all more deserving, and one of them will win, so I won't need to make any speeches or anything like that.

Readers, please go to The Hub Of Sparkle and vote for some blog other than Gypsy Scholar.
I thought that I'd better repeat this appeal in a special blog entry since a mere comment to yesterday's blog entry might be insufficient to gain the attention of my readers to this possible danger.

The other seven blogs, far more deserving than my own, actually deal extensively with Korean culture. Check them out:
Ask A Korean!

Frog in a Well

Gord Sellar

The Grand Narrative

Gusts of Popular Feeling

Seoul Podcast

The Western Confucian
Given the high quality and Korean focus of these seven blogs, I'm fairly certain that there's no great danger of my blog winning this particular competition. Now, if the category were "Best Blog about Culture in General, 2008" (rather than "Korean Culture in General"), I might be more worried, for I have written a great deal on such general, high-cultural topics as moonshine, water slides, and Uncle Cran's adventures in the Ozarks.

Nevertheless, some danger does exist, so let me again urge my readers to visit The Hub Of Sparkle and vote for some blog other than Gypsy Scholar.

I suggest Gord Sellar.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

At 11:56 AM, Blogger gordsellar said...

Jeffery,

That's very kind of you, but I too very rarely deal with Korea in any deep way in my posts anymore. (I have a lot of stuff tagged "Korea" but surprisingly little analysis or cultural criticism in the vein of stuff I used to write.)

I'm very flattered, though, by your recommendation! :)

And hoping we can go for some drinks once I get over my little cold. Early February would be nice, if you feel up to it! (And some of the gang, too; if you're reading this, you know who you are.) Nothing of Carne Station proportions, mind... just some beer or something.

 
At 12:06 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Well, Gord, you've still written far more than I have. I don't know why I was nominated, and I don't deserve the honor . . . but thanks, anyway, to whoever nominated me.

Yes, let's plan something with Charles. I am teaching these days, but I don't teach on Fridays during the break, so I have some leeway.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 10:47 AM, Blogger gordsellar said...

Eek, if Friday's your only day then during the break may not work. (This Friday Today I have something,. next Friday I have something, the following Friday I'll be out of town, I think, and the Friday following I'll be on a visa run. Gah!

As for your modesty, pish tosh. You blog with the best of 'em, and not just about how someone was rude on the subway or the other tired expat K-blog topics. It's refreshing!

 
At 11:19 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Actually, the fact that I don't teach on Friday might also make Thursday evening possible.

My modesty is confined to what I say on Korean topics. On Ozark High Culture (such as getting 'high' on moonshine), I have profound things to relate...

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 1:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe maybe a round of emails are in order? With the exception of a conference two weeks from tomorrow, and a mini-trip at some point during the month, I'm free.

Oh, and congrats on your nomination, both of you. I would say I'm jealous, but... I'm not. Heh. I like flying under the radar.

 
At 1:33 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Emails, yes . . . somebody send one.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 8:32 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Thanks.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home