Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Poetry Break: "Entscheide"

Knife & Sheath
Unsheathed

From a time in Europe before I met my Sun-Ae on that slow train through Germany, I had a few close encounters of the disappointing sort, and one of them inspired this good-bye poem:

Entscheide
And now, you're shied away from me...
my wild dear...
slipping into shadows' false freedom,
a lost kingdom of plants,

thick, tangled vines of the past,

the wood of would've been....
And a subjunctive blue mood lowers
like the folds
of a deep
black
dress,
covering this decision....
'cause you're shied away,
melting in purple shadows,
my dear,
wild
dear....
Those days of good-byes are long foreby, and good bye to them . . . but I still rather like this poem of regretful longing.

Labels:

7 Comments:

At 9:20 AM, Blogger jeanie oliver said...

Jeff,
do other cultures say "shied" or is that part of the Ozarkian upbringing?
Jeanie

 
At 10:02 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

I've never thought about that. I'd assumed that it was standard English.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 10:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've finally figured out why you call them "Poetry Breaks"--you are trying to break us with your poetry!

I keed, I keed!

As for "shied," I'm going to guess that it is standard English. We used it in the Northeast when I was growing up--and the suburbs of New York are probably the furthest you can get from Ozarkian dialect.

 
At 10:55 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Whatever its geographical extent, the term "shied" in my poem is also a pun on the "Sheide" in "entscheide."

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 11:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey,gypsy scholar,may i have the honor to contact you through your email address.if you can tell me your email address,i would aprreciate it that much.

 
At 11:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

here is my address,carrisasheng@hotmail.com

 
At 12:40 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Carrisa Sheng (if that's your name), my email would be readily found by Googling my name, but I can also contact you.

The blog persona "Gypsy Scholar," however, is a far more interesting person than I.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home