Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Five things about me that you don't know...

A Portrait of the Gypsy Scholar as a Young Hominid
The Big Ho's got nothin' on me...
(Image from Wikipedia)

... and probably don't even care to know:
1. I wore 5-pound (2.25-kg) leg weights on each leg and ran up a 500-foot (approximately 150-meter) knob in the Ozarks nearly every day for three years from age 16 through age 18 to stay in shape for basketball.

2. I have Neanderthal brows and was given the nickname "Missing Link" at age 18 when I had long hair, a beard, and came through my freshman judo class's arm-wrestling contest as undefeated champ.

3. I rode my bicycle from Tahlequah, Oklahoma to Waco, Texas in five days at age 19 -- sleeping under tables at rodeside parks and nearly dying of thirst on one long stretch of mountainous dirt road -- just to prove to myself that I could do it without getting myself killed.

4. I could easily slam dunk a basketball two-handed from about age 19 through age 22 or thereabouts even though I stood only a bit over 6 feet (approximately 186 cm).

5. I didn't tumble 1000 feet (approximately 300 meters) down the face of an ice cliff on Mount Whitney at age 28 even though I feared that I was going to.

Bonus fact: Back in our lost youth, all five of my brothers were far better athletes than I was.
Probably, most of you didn't know these relatively uninteresting facts about a younger version of myself, and I've only noted them because Hathor tagged me. You all have my permission to forget all of these trivial facts.

Meanwhile, I'm supposed to tag other bloggers and continue this chain of admissions about our youthful follies. In a previous game of tag, I tagged everybody in the whole world, but I believe that several million individuals have been born since then, so would everybody born since February 18, 2006 please blog on five things about themselves that the rest of us don't know?

Thanks.

12 Comments:

At 10:29 AM, Blogger Hathor said...

They are more interesting than mine.
They do give a little insight into your personality.

 
At 10:51 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Or into what my personality was like long back in my youth...

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 11:21 PM, Blogger Conservative in Virginia said...

Did the Gypsy Scholar feel the earthquake? Are his internet and phone still working?

 
At 3:53 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

CIV, the Gypsy Scholar feels many things ... but didn't feel the earthquake.

My wife told me of it, but I've heard nothing else, nor have I had trouble with phone or internet.

From your query, I'm guessing that the quake was substantial, so I expect that I'll soon know more than I've heard thus far.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 4:26 AM, Blogger Conservative in Virginia said...

Good grief. The earthquake and its aftermath were the big headline on Drudge (until Gerald Ford died and then Saddam's death sentence was upheld and the Baathists pledged revenge).

"Internet and phone services have been disrupted across much of Asia after an earthquake damaged undersea cables, leaving one of the world's most tech-savvy regions in a virtual blackout."

breitbart.com

 
At 4:27 AM, Blogger Conservative in Virginia said...

Oh, and I'm glad you're OK.

 
At 5:45 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Interesting. Perhaps this would explain the relatively low volume of visitors recorded on yesterday's site meter.

Doubtless this morning's headlines will blare out the news.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 3:20 PM, Blogger jj mollo said...

When I took a First Responder course at my place of employment, the teachers emphasized that the first step in CPR is to point to an individual and order that specific individual to, "Call 9-1-1!" If your designation is the least bit ambiguous, everybody at the scene will assume that you meant some other guy.

Your facts were very interesting, and more that a little intimidating. We have good reason, then, to expect great things from you, HJH!

 
At 3:35 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

I'm too old to achieve great things...

Anyway, as for the 9-1-1 analogy, it's certainly valid in this case, but I'm not bent of tagging anyone in particular.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 10:54 PM, Blogger Conservative in Virginia said...

Too old?

What about Mary Kay Ash?

Maybe your fame and fortune are just around the corner.

 
At 10:56 PM, Blogger Conservative in Virginia said...

And Colonel Sanders.

 
At 3:57 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

CIV, you're suggesting that I expand into cosmetics or fast foods? Hmmm ... it's worth considering, but I'm waiting for name recognition to be established through this blog:

Gypsy Scholar's Ozark-Fried Chicken, cosmetically enhanced for a lovely golden fry!

My fame and fortune awaits me...

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home